Welcome to the Steadfast Roofing Group blog, where we strive to provide valuable insights to homeowners like you. Today, we address a common concern – roof shingles losing granules. Granule loss is a potential issue that may arise over time with asphalt shingle roofs. As an expert roofing company in Pittsburgh, we understand the importance of maintaining a sturdy and durable roof to protect your home. In this blog, we’ll delve into the reasons behind granule loss, its implications, and provide you with a step-by-step guide on what to do if you notice your roof shingles losing granules.
Why Are Your Roof Shingles Losing Granules?
Before we jump into the action steps, it’s essential to understand why granule loss occurs in the first place. Asphalt shingles have a protective layer of granules that shield them from the harsh elements, such as sunlight, rain, and wind. Over time, due to various factors, these granules may begin to dislodge or wear off. Some common reasons for granule loss include:
- Normal Wear and Tear: As your roof ages, natural wear and tear become inevitable. Exposure to changing weather conditions, especially extreme temperatures, can lead to the gradual erosion of granules.
- Poor Roofing Material Quality: Inferior quality shingles are more susceptible to granule loss. This is why it’s crucial to invest in high-quality roofing materials that can withstand the test of time.
- Improper Roof Installation: Inadequate installation techniques can cause premature damage to the shingles, leading to granule loss and other issues.
- Hail and Storm Damage: Severe weather events like hailstorms can physically dislodge granules from the shingles, leaving them vulnerable.
- Roof Foot Traffic: Frequent foot traffic on your roof, especially during repairs or maintenance, can cause granules to detach.
- Lack of Roof Maintenance: Regular roof maintenance, such as cleaning gutters and removing debris, can prevent granule loss caused by clogged drainage.
The Implications of Granule Loss:
Granule loss can have significant implications for your roof’s performance and longevity. Some of the potential consequences include:
- Reduced UV Protection: Granules protect the asphalt shingles from harmful UV rays. Without adequate granules, the shingles are more exposed to the sun’s rays, leading to accelerated aging and deterioration.
- Reduced Waterproofing: Granules also help repel water and prevent water damage to the underlying layers of the roof. Granule loss compromises this waterproofing ability, making your roof more susceptible to leaks.
- Decreased Energy Efficiency: A roof with missing granules may not reflect sunlight as efficiently, leading to increased heat absorption. This can result in higher indoor temperatures, causing your cooling system to work harder and raising energy bills.
- Diminished Aesthetics: Shingles with significant granule loss may appear patchy, uneven, and aesthetically unpleasing, diminishing the curb appeal of your home.
What to Do If Your Roof Shingles Are Losing Granules
- Perform a Visual Inspection
Safely inspect your roof from the ground using binoculars or, if needed, hire a professional roofing contractor to assess the extent of granule loss.
- Document the Damage
Take pictures of the affected areas to have a record of the damage for insurance purposes and future reference.
- Check for Roof Leaks
Look for any signs of water leakage in your attic or ceilings, as granule loss can make your roof more vulnerable to leaks.
- Schedule a Professional Inspection
Contact a reputable roofing company like Steadfast Roofing Group to conduct a thorough inspection. They can assess the overall health of your roof and recommend the best course of action.
- Address Immediate Issues
If your roof is leaking or showing signs of severe damage, take temporary measures to prevent further water ingress. Use roofing cement or a temporary patch to cover exposed areas until a professional repair can be performed.
- Consider Roof Repair or Replacement
Based on the inspection, your roofing professional will advise on whether you need a repair or a roof replacement. They will help you choose the right materials for your new roof, ensuring superior quality and longevity.
- Choose High-Quality Roofing Materials
Opt for premium asphalt shingles with excellent granule adhesion properties. Steadfast Roofing Group offers a wide range of roofing materials designed to withstand the challenging Pittsburgh climate.
- Schedule Regular Roof Maintenance
After addressing the issue, make a habit of scheduling regular roof maintenance to prevent future granule loss and prolong your roof’s lifespan.
As a homeowner, it’s crucial to be proactive when it comes to your roof’s health. Granule loss is a sign that your roof may be compromised, leaving your home vulnerable to various issues. By following our step-by-step guide and partnering with a professional roofing company like Steadfast Roofing Group, you can ensure that your roof remains in top condition, safeguarding your home and family for years to come.At Steadfast Roofing Group, we take pride in providing top-notch roofing solutions to homeowners in Pittsburgh and its surrounding areas. With years of experience and a team of skilled professionals, we are committed to delivering excellence in every project we undertake. Contact us today at 724-816-6118 for a comprehensive roof inspection and let us help you protect your home with the highest quality roofing materials available.